The art of being Californian, it seems, is to cultivate a loose-limbed insouciance while secretly working away like a frantic ant.

--Richard Fortey The Earth: An Intimate History

Monday, February 9, 2009

Life Maintenance

I hate it.

Hate.

It.

Plus I am not good at it. I don't do well when tasks need to be performed over and over again with no visible progress.

You do dishes. Suddenly, the sink fills with dirty dishes again (no dishwasher here unless you count the elbow grease kind). You do laundry. Suddenly (before you can even fold the clean stuff), a mountain of dirty clothes springs up. You pay bills. They are due again.

It is Sisyphean in nature. Pointless really. You'll just have to do it again. And again. And again.

It doesn't help that I am also easily distracted. I can be very very very focused for a bit, but then eventually the focus part doesn't take. I move on. If the task is accomplished, then great. If not, it sits unfinished. Mocking me.

I need a personal life maintenance fairy who magically makes my life fall into order. I used to have one: an OCD husband. But he decided to take a 6-month break in a warm, exotic, dusty location.

So now I need a replacement. It won't be a permanent position. Just a few months. Pay isn't that great because you'll also have to work a real job to provide me the lifestyle I am used to. But I cook well. And I can be funny sometimes when I am not bogged down in life maintenance. Plus you'll get to play with an adorable 4-year-old all the time while I read.

Any takers?

Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment