The art of being Californian, it seems, is to cultivate a loose-limbed insouciance while secretly working away like a frantic ant.

--Richard Fortey The Earth: An Intimate History

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Full Circle


I woke up this morning to discover that somehow, as I slept (fighting off zombie hordes in my sleep yet again because of this book) and while they lay quietly on my stack of bedside books, my glasses had managed to lose a stem.
*
After a frantic, half blind search for the missing limb (the present piece of my frames perched half-cocked on my nose, the intact stem clinging to my left ear so as to keep the whole ensemble balanced on my face), I located the striped piece wedged between A Moveable Feast and March 2006's Poetry magazine.
*
It seems this stem has a penchant for the Left Bank and metered lines.
*
Finally reunited if not joined, my glasses have posed a dilemma for the day. Do I buy a small eyeglass kit to replace the missing tiny screw? Or do I do it right and actually schedule the eye exam that I've needed for the last two years and replace these 5-year-old frames altogether?
*
The problem with either is that I really have no time. I don't have time to search out an eyeglass kit (who has those? Ghetto Vons? Henry's?), and I really don't have time to devote to obtaining a whole new eyeglass ensemble.
*
Besides. I love these glasses. They have been my favorite pair since the moment I chose them out of the kids' section of Lenscrafters and removed the Pokemon sticker that was affixed to their lens. I don't want to let these guys go just yet.
*
How telling is it that the first repair idea I had was to merely tape the stem back in place? Which I would have done. With no sense of the ridiculousness of that action had my adult and aware me not kicked in just then and offered the other above solutions.
*
*For those of you who knew me back when: once again, I am going to be that girl with the cracked, broken, and taped glasses. It's amazing how life takes you full circle.*

1 comment:

  1. Go for the tape. I'll still be friends with you. -CS

    ReplyDelete