Mammoth's ties to my trailor trash roots . . . .
Here are the top reasons I love Mammoth at this time of year (in no particular order, of course):
1. The play of sunlight between the trees. You can be walking in and out of the shade into dappled sun into full sun, and throughout, the sun's rays will move and shift like a living thing in and out of view.
2. You can walk literally on the side of the road. And as large trucks zoom past, you have to move to the scrub off the pavement.
3. The dichotomy of cold shade and warm sun.
4. The surprising and always breath-taking vistas of the mountain, valleys, lakes, bathed in warm warm sun or cool moonlight.
5. The always-presence of the snow-covered mountain. It looms large over the still bare town and valley like a protective lover or menacing ex.
6. You can actually see the stars at night.
7. And of course, the blue-enough sky.
Love you Mammoth. But still can't wait to go home.